Big Son's Birthday Cake

Son #1 asked for a Tres Leches cake for his birthday. I have made Tres Leches several times and it's not hard at all. As a matter of fact it's very easy. But you do have to make it at least one day before you serve it so all that milk can soak in.

So since his birthday was 2 days after Easter and I have been hobbling around on a sprained ankle, I basically realized that making a homemade Tres Leches was not happening. So before I left for his volleyball game at 4 pm on his birthday I ripped out the bakery page from the Yellow Pages (remember the Yellow Pages? no one uses them anymore b/c of the internet) and stuck it in my pocket. In between games I would call the Hispanic bakeries to find a cake for hubby to pick up on his way home. I had my doubts. Would there be one along his route? Would a bakery still be open at 7pm? Would they have any Tres Leches? If they did would it be good? I got lucky. The first bakery I tried had it, and they'd be open till 8:45. I had to settle for a cake that serves 18, but oh well, better than one that serves 50. It was just for us 4. It was El Molino Bakery in Lawndale. They even wrote Feliz Cumpleanos on it for us.

It was delicious. Better than mine? Yes. They have way more experience with it than me and my Italian, Polish, Russian heritage. As a matter of fact I'm off to have another piece right now.

No comments: